Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Do words matter?

Have you ever said the right thing @ the wrong time?  Said something that someone didn't want to hear?  Didn't say anything when you should have said something? 

WORDS and the power of them...........

Today I weighed in.  Not the best of them and not the worst weight in but I was disappointed.  Maybe more emotionally disappointed than logically; I lost afterall?!  When I returned home, I read a quote on Active.com's FB post which I immediately emailed to my "girls on the run" team........"Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue. Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions independently of logic." - Tim Noakes

I liked it and it help me put on my running shoes.  Pretty quickly, I got an email from our "Marine"........"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. You’ve got to make the mind take over and keep going." - George S. Patton, U.S. Army General and 1912 Olympian

Now my running shoes are on and I'm out the door.  So big deal?  YES, BIG DEAL!  I ran 1.71 miles today before I had to stop and walk.  This is the farthest I've run in ages or ever; I can't even remember. 

Of course WORDS matter and have power to do terrible or wonderful things; it's our choice.  As mom's everywhere say to their kids, USE YOUR WORDS!

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed that this is your second posting on "words"...

    What ever happened to developing your inner confidence? Putting your self esteem in the hands of other individuals (by depending on their "words"), is a recipe for DISASTER. Nobody will ever live up to your expectations and you will always be left disappointed.

    I'm thinkin' the mom-cyclopedia needs a 21st century update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! And I had no idea Patton was an olympian... crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment...."Comment As" - select either Name/URL (name only required) or Anonymous. Thanks!