Monday, April 12, 2010

How can I lose weight?

Can you say - bathing suit season!  The media is bombarding us with a gillion ways to lose weight, get thin fast, have incredible bodies, etc.  In these ads, I haven't seen much regarding getting healthy, staying healthy or if the product will even damage my health?!  Hmmm. 

I googled "diets" and it returned 19,900,000 results - that's 19 MILLION results.  As compared to googling "lose weight" which returned 43 MILLION

Over the last week, I've been thinking @ possible ways to lose weight:
  • Diet Pills - Alli
  • Supplements
  • Drinks / Powders
  • Surgery - bypass
  • Fasting
  • Lipo
  • Some sort of spa treatment where they wrap you in plastic
  • "Diets" - Atkins, South Beach, Grapefruit, Mediterranean, Lose Weight Fast, Detox, Flat Belly, Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, Celebrity and millions more
  • Exercise - can you lose by exercising and not change eating?
  • Lifestyle change - what I eat, how often I eat, portion sizes, exercise, fun activities.......
The Health Coach in me is bothered (I guess cause there's so much of it right now) by all the "stuff" screaming and in our faces @ quick solutions.  What are the lasting results of these?  Are they positive / Does the weight stay off?  And perhaps more importantly, are the longer term results damaging? 

I was talking to someone the other day who went the bypass route a few years ago.  She reduced over 100 lbs.  Two years later, she says her health is not good.  Are these two connected?  Does one lipo lead to two, three...?  

I chose the lifestyle method.  Slow, steady, healthy and lasting!  I didn't make it into a bathing suit the 1st summer and not yet where I want to be for the 2nd summer but I'm working on it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...."Comment As" - select either Name/URL (name only required) or Anonymous. Thanks!