Friday, April 16, 2010

Sunscreen - how do I choose?

I should think @ this all year but frankly haven't until recently.  In my teens and into my 20's and 30's, I was a sun worshiper.  I loved the beach (still do!) and would sit out all day with NO sunscreen.  I grew up in the era of using baby oil + iodine.  Not only would I never do this now, I try to limit my "laying out" to the early part of the day and I use sunscreen - all over.  This has most recently been top of mind because of my running.  Plus I'm paying close attention to what I'm putting IN my body, should what goes ON my body get equal attention?!  I need to get it together. 

Next I Google suncreen and sit back.....TOXINS!  Holy @^%$#!  I can't even pronounce these words which is my first tip.  But there's more.

It's reported that some sunscreen ingredients absorb into the blood and some are linked to toxic effects. Some release skin-damaging free radicals in sunlight, some could disrupt hormone systems, several are strongly linked to allergic reactions, and others may build up in the body or the environment.  Look for the following; read the labels, do some research and use discretion.  Just look at these words!  UGH!
 -Benzophenones (dixoybenzone, oxybenzone)
 -PABA and PABA esters (ethyl dihydroxy propyl PAB, glyceryl PABA)
 -p-aminobenzoic acid padimate O or Octyl dimethyl PABA)
 -Cinnamates (cinoxate, ethylhexyl, p-methoxycinnamate)
 -Salicylates (ethylhexyl salicylate, homosalate, octyl salicylate)
 -Avobenzone (butyl-methyoxydibenzoylmethane; Parsol 1789)
 -Digalloyl trioleate
 -Menthyl anthranilate
 -Propylene Glycol: Called a humectant in cosmetics, it is industrial antifreeze, and the major ingredient in   brake and hydraulic fluid. - YIKES!

Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are thought to be two of the safest sunscreens. Instead of being absorbed into the skin (and other body organs) to react to ultraviolet light so that the skin does not burn, they keep the light from penetrating the skin in the first place.  

I checked out sunscreen products using the Environmental Working Group's 2009 Sunscreen Guide.  What a great tool.  There's a great, hot summer ahead and preparation is key.  Got my hat and going sunscreen shopping this weekend.  I think I'm ready.........

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I found you on Yelp as a reviewer of Mooncake (my favorite store) and linked to your blog from there. Your weight loss story inspired me. I have been out of work (involuntarily) for a year and have been stuck both physically and emotionally. I weigh about what you weighed when you started out. And I want to weigh around 135. I just called Body Solutions and made an appointment with Dan. I would love to hear from you. Regards, Amy amydefaveri@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment...."Comment As" - select either Name/URL (name only required) or Anonymous. Thanks!